Great Gifts for a Knitter

I'm so lucky and blessed that my friends and family support my knitting habit. This year I got two knitting books I've been coveting.

The first is Deborah Newton's Designing Knitwear. It's a basic, nuts-and-bolts book on the principles of knitwear design. I haven't had a chance to read it thoroughly yet, but I can tell from flipping through it that it's a meaty book. I'm going to need quiet and space to contemplate it--which means I can never read it at home, where the cats are constantly trying to distract me. Heaven forbid I should pay attention to anything other than themselves.

The other book I received is Custom Knits by Wendy Bernard. It's also a design book but it's more about taking her patterns as jumping-off points and then following her tips to customize them if you wish. It's a more "fluffy" book than Deborah Newton's, but I really like several of the patterns and can see myself knitting and wearing them. It's also beautifully photographed, but I had to chuckle at the styling in some cases. I mean, I don't live in Southern California, but I doubt that many women wear sweaters on the beach with their bikini bottoms. I could be wrong....

As I look forward to the new year, I've been thinking of making the same resolution I did a few years ago, when I vowed not to buy any more yarn until I had finished at least two of the projects I already had on the needles. But then the other day as I was finally getting aroudn to looking through the fall issue of Knitters Magazine, I saw the Raglan Rust and fell in love. I love everything about it--the style, the shaping, the colors. Me wantee!!! So now I have a dilemma: do I buy the yarn now and start working on it before the new year's resolution kicks in, or do I wait until after I've finished two projects and can work on it without guilt? I only have 3 days left to decide....

Comments

Lynette said…
happy belated merry christmas!!! i'm glad you got the custom knits book.
Foxy Knitter said…
Thanks! Hope you had a great holiday, too.