Work in Progress: Hemp Bag

A couple of years ago, I went to Vogue Knitting Live here in Chicago, and I bought this kit to make a market bag using hemp yarn. I finally started on it a few days ago.


As you can see, I'm about halfway done. The pattern is easy and fun to knit.

I did deviate from the instructions slightly. The pattern says to cast on and just start knitting in the round, and then you're supposed to sew the bottom of the bag together when you're done. I hate sewing and I also didn't think that such a seam would be terribly stable. Instead, I decided to start the bag with double-knitting so that the bottom is organically sealed together and I don't have to do any sewing. It did make things awkward at first, but once I got a couple of inches beyond the beginning it opened up nicely and it has been smooth sailing ever since.

I will have to sew on the handles unless I can think of a way to incorporate them into the body of the bag. Stay tuned for further developments. And I hope you have a very happy Memorial Day.

Comments

Unknown said…
how nice! you can use it at the Farmer's markets. i'd planned to knit one for that reason. got to get on it! heee