One Big Skein of Sock Yarn, Two Projects

A while back I decided I could use some fingerless gloves to wear under my mittens for the times when it's really cold outside and I need to grab my bus pass or my keys or need to text without exposing my entire hand. Sock yarn is the perfect medium for gloves, especially if it's a machine-washable wool-nylon blend, so I dug around in my stash and found some Adorn sock yarn by Three Irish Girls in the colorway Kieran. (I don't remember when or where I bought it, so that tells you it was in the pile for a long time.) I used the glove pattern in Ann Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. The only alteration I made was to eliminate the very tip of each finger, as you can see below.


I'm happy with how they turned out, and they fit perfectly under my bigger mittens and have kept my hands extra warm during the recent cold snap.

Because this skein of yarn was 430 yards long, I had plenty left over to do a pair of socks for myself. Again, I used the pattern in Ann Budd's book. It's a basic pattern with no texture or embellishment, and that's how I like my socks. Lacy or cabled socks are pretty, but I don't like holes that could snag or textured lumps that could rub against the top of my shoe. That's just me, though. I freely admit that I have sensitive feet. And when you have a yarn that knits up into such lovely stripes, I don't think it's necessary to gild the lily.




Believe it or  not, I still have quite a bit of this yarn left over, so I'll save it for baby hats and other small projects. I'm very happy with how it has performed.

Up next, I'm making something top-secret for a friend. I can't post pics until I've finished it and mailed it to her. Stay tuned!

Comments